So much for the afterglow: Why Sochi’s economic boost failed to materialize
Hosting the Olympics has not given the desired stimulus to Russia’s economy
The preparations for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi are in full swing. The Winter Olympics commence in less than 12 months, and the Sochi 2014 volunteer movement has stirred up a wave of social activity in Russia. Tickets for the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games went on sale in early February. They are available online at www.tickets.sochi2014.com or from the Olympic Committee of any participating country. The organizers expect to sell 70 percent of the tickets to the Russian public and the remaining 30 percent to foreigners.
The Winter Olympics and Paralympics held in Sochi in February 2014 had revenue totaling 85.4 billion rubles, over twice the total indicated during the submission process, the Russian Audit Chamber reported
RBTH looks at the system for grooming young stars for international success
Skiers, snowboarders and skaters posted a number of impressive results in the first winter sports season after the Olympics
Bryan McDonald reports from the Black Sea city
Which Russian sports made the grade and which didn’t?
Russians see the incorporation of Crimea and the Sochi Winter Olympic Games as the most significant domestic events of the outgoing year and the Ukraine situation as the most important global affair, the Public Opinion Foundation reports
How will the Olympic city fare now it is no longer the center of attention?
On May 20, Moscow’s Vetoshny Art Center hosted a special reception called “Sochi – Moscow – Rio”
The 2014 Winter Olympic Games promise to set another record in terms of profits
Russian Federal Security Service Director revealed certain details of attempted terrorist attacks at Olympic facilities in Sochi, which were prevented in association with special services of the U.S., France, Germany, Austria and Georgia
After Russia’s hockey failure at Sochi 2014, ideas differ on how best to rebuild
Paralympic Closing Ceremony Marks End Of Sochi Olympic Season; more than 29 million people from around the world followed the Olympics with RBTH
Team Russia came in at the top of the medals table
In the last two days of competition in Sochi, the Russian team won a string of stunning victories and confirmed their status as champions of the Winter Paralympic Games
Russian President Vladimir Putin said he thanked the athletes of the Russian team for their stunning performance during the Paralympics in Sochi
A remarkable biathlon, crowned by the fifth gold medal of the Games for Roman Petushkov.
The money and focus Russia has poured into paralympic training has paid off in Sochi. Hopefully the experience will translate into better living conditions for disabled people across Russia
Russia’s team moved to the next stage of the tournament in hockey and curling